Friday, July 28, 2006

Ruth



My friend Ruth Joslyn passed away at the age of 43 on July 17. She was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997, went through surgery and chemotherapy, then into remission. The cancer returned in her bones about five years ago, then recently in her liver. She fought for a long time, but in June was finally told there was nothing to do.

I attended her memorial service this morning. It was filled with people who's lives she had touched, each in a different and amazing way. Ruth was a true friend and one that I valued greatly. She always made me feel so special, so cared for. To see that she had this affect on so many other people was amazing, beautiful, and so very sad, because she's gone. It seems wrong and unfair that she's not here anymore. She left behind a husband and two children, 13 and 6.

Her service has also made me think about how I'm spending my time. I know that life is mostly made up of mundane things: work, chores, sleep. That's fine - I don't expect that every moment will be bursting with fulfillment. But I do want to make sure I don't waste those moments on things that will lead me nowhere. I want to spend more time with my kids, my husband, connecting with my friends. I need to remember this feeling and follow through with it in my life.

Ruth lives on through all the people she touched, through her husband, through her wonderful children. I can't accept the unfairness of her life being shortened the way it was - but I will carry her memory with me always.

3 comments:

Do-Man's Anklebitters said...

Heather I am glad that you got to go! Ruth was an amazing person and was truly a kind and loving person to all those she met. She had a way of making a person know that she was really interested in them and what they had to say, and not just being polite. The world would be a much better place with more people like Ruth on it.

Kelsey Carreon said...

Heather I am so sorry to hear about Ruth. She was such a dear friend to you and I just loved visiting her when I stayed with you in Victoria. She was always so optimistic and kind. Ruth was the kind of person you felt at home with only after a few minutes of knowing her. I concur with Jenny there should be more Ruths in the world.

Collen Gehrig said...

Heather,
I am so sorry to hear about Ruth. I agree that she was a fantastic person. I remember visiting you one summer and we went over to her house to go swimming. She had just gone through some chemo and did not try to use a wig or anything. That made such an impression on me and showed her confidence and wonderful spirit. I am sorry that you lost such a wonderful friend. I concur that the world needs more Ruths in it.