Friday, March 02, 2007

Duh duh, duh duh, duh duh . . .

That's the theme from Jaws, by the way.

Ben wanted to make a shark cake this year for the annual Cub Scout Blue and Gold dinner. I thought about how to make this cake in the background of my mind for at least a week. On Monday night (the night before the dinner) I had a dream of how we should make the cake. I got at 5am and made a trip to the grocery store, where I purchased: Red Velvet cake mix, two tubs of white frosting, small tubs of decorative frosting in black, red and white, and a box of Goldfish crackers. Then I baked the Red Velvet cake in a 9x12 pan, put it in the freezer and got everyone off to school, and headed for work.
That afternoon, Ben and I found an appropriate shark outline on the internet and cut out the shape from the sheet cake. We also mixed the decorative black frosting in to the white, to make grey. It turned out to be harder than we expected to frost this thing - crumbs were going everywhere. I was on the phone with Jenny, and she suggested pouring thinned down frosting over the whole thing first. We did this, popped it back into the freezer for a while and were able to finish the coat of grey. Ben added the gill lines, eye, mouth, and some streaks of red blood falling from the shark's mouth. Then the goldfish crackers. The base is a white plastic cutting board covered with blue cellophane.
Here's Ben with the finished product - the cake turned out really good almost all of it was eaten at the party.

No comments: